OK I'm confused about what test to have my DS15 starting as a H.S. sophomore take this fall and school is asking us to decide at H.S. registration. School is trying to push a Pre-Act test for 10th graders and seems to be offering it the same date as the PSAT so you can only take one or the other. Back in my day you ONLY took the PSAT in 11th, but I've heard it's very common to take the PSAT the fall of 10th grade for "practice". And that doing so with only minimal "prep" is a good way to get an idea how much prep work he would end up needing.

To add confusion.. the pre-act test the school was administering the past number of years was the PLAN but that test seem to be no longer offered and the only information is they will be giving a PACT Test. Not sure what that is.. ACT seems to be replacing the PLAN with ACT Aspire. Can't find anyting online about a PACT test.

When my DD was a sophmore, I signed her up for the PLAN without knowing anything about it, and then decided not to have her take it since it didn't seem like a good idea for her at the time. She tests poorly. And she ended up taking the ACT at the end of her junior year.

I have always assumed that my son would do well on the PSAT/SAT. He usually tests VERY well. And I always assumed he would do better with the SAT than ACT. But I've read other posts that have made me wonder if that is true. Timed things case him trouble, and he can be so literal it gets him in trouble. A friend suggested that I have DS take the PSAT both 10th & 11th year even though it doesn't count till 11th grade. Adding to the confusion is the fact that the SAT/PSAT will be all new my son's junior year. So if he takes the PSAT in 11th year, it will be a different test than the one he takes in 10th.

In addition his school offers unofficial "practice" tests, particularly one in the spring that is designed to help decided witch test to take? This is all gotten so confusing.

Last edited by bluemagic; 08/18/14 08:37 PM.