Sorry--I didn't mean to imply he could not benefit from any type of reading instruction! Only that I did not want him to have to sit through first-grade phonics and reading lessons, and that he is at this point so far past early-grade reading mechanics that differentiating isn't very easy in class.

Would they consider continuing to cross-grade him in language arts?

Well, I don't know. This was promised to us, as a matter of fact. But we think he has been placed with a small group (2-4, I think?) of other competent (possibly gifted) kids. He had no such cohort last year. Because of this placement I kind of doubt they will want to continue the PT acceleration, because it could create the expectation that all would be accelerated. It could be that these kids are also very good readers, but in my experience there are not many 1st graders reading at this level even among gifted kids. (I don't mean to sound snotty. My own DD was not reading this well at this age, either.)

I think his other needs can be met in the classroom without too much trouble, but in this area he is just kind of out there. Last year he did do a journal, which was great. I am happy to buy materials and the school is fine with him using those, though it might be weird if there are other kids with advanced skills. Last year I sent in some reading comp books, which I think he used some. They weren't...great, but I have not found any that are. I will look at these Thompson books.

He will also be receiving some pull-out programming, but no idea how much or what it will be yet.