This is all so helpful - thank you! I am writing down these ideas so I can look up the resources and think through how to implement them.

My son's psychologist has suggested sending some checklists for the teacher because that might help to identify the exact problems in the classroom. We don't see the same things at home, but obviously he doesn't face the same challenges at home.

I will look over the suggested resources. I have tried asking around to see what other kids get and have been told that some schools do offer social skills groups for kids with ASDs. My son (as aeh mentioned) scores under ASD cutoffs but still elevated relative to normative scores. I asked the school if getting him an ASD diagnosis would help, but they said it would make no difference.

I have come to think that his biggest problems are impulse control (i.e., he wants to be well-behaved in class but just can't resist getting up to play even though he tries) and social communication (he takes longer to express things than other kids at school, even though he speaks rapidly at home when comfortable, so other kids start talking over him).

I'm not sure what I could ask for that would help with the impulse control. For communication, he needs someone to take the time to let him express himself if there is a problem - and that seems an easy fix that doesn't often happen (which is why he spent an afternoon in the principal's office by himself after someone else took his lunchbox).

Last edited by apm221; 08/14/14 12:56 PM.