My reply is going to be a bit scattered - I'm on the way out the door in a few minutes to an orthodontist appointment with a dd who absolutely no-way-under-the-sun wants to go get braces child - so I keep getting interrupted with loud screams of "I don't want to go" lol!

Originally Posted by N..
I just received his OT report. They completed a sensory and coordination. Results are mostly average. This is where the dyspraxia (DCD) comes from but not sure it is really compelling.

Don't worry if the reports seem "compelling" or try to over think ahead of the meeting what the people on the team will think of the reports. Instead, think through how you can use the reports you have to tell your ds' story. The low average motor efficiency fits with dyspraxia and dysgraphia.

Your ds also had a Beery VMI that you said was "average" - was it average after the subtests were summed? Was there any discrepancy that points to weakness in fine motor vs visual integration?

Also be prepared to explain what the tests test. Not in detail, but enough of a brief description to help the team understand how the tests relate to your ds' challenges and strengths - not everyone at the meeting will be familiar with each test, and chances are no one at the meeting (outside possibly the school psych and/or OT will have seen a child with the specific set of strengths and challenges your ds has) .

Absolutely without a doubt get the written reports with diagnoses on them. One note - the words used to diagnose may be different than the terms you are used to, depending on who has diagnosed. "Dysgraphia", for instance, on a neuropsych report, will show up as "Disorder of Written Expression" and "Dyspraxia" will show up as "Developmental Coordination Disorder".

The school does not diagnose (typically), instead their evaluation will determine what your ds' needs are in terms of academics/education. For instance, if after an IEP eligibility process they determine he needs an individualized education plan addressing reading, they will say he qualifies under "Specific Learning Disability/Reading" - they will not state anywhere that he is diagnosed with "dyslexia".

I think it's very important going into these meetings to have as clear an idea as possible both of what your ds' needs are and what you want to have the school provide (best case scenario). Then build your case supporting the needs/requests as solidly as possible. It is also important to know what your rights are in your school district and state, as well as helpful to have input from other parents or a parent advocate in your area re what to expect. If you haven't tried to locate a parent advocate in your area, I would try today to make a contact if you can find a group. Ask them the same questions you've asked us. Advice online is wonderful, but having someone local who has knowledge of your school district is invaluable.

Re knowing what your ds needs as much as possible going into the meeting - you also need to anticipate outcomes that might not work so you can advocate against them if suggested. One example that might happen: RTI (Response to Intervention). Let's say (just an example) the team proposes RTI for handwriting - you know your ds needs accommodations, not handwriting. That's when you remind the team that your ds has already had handwriting OT, he gained (fill in the blank), he did not realize improvement in (fill in the blank - for instance, I think you mentioned he still has an odd grip). Then you remind the team he is diagnosed with dysgraphia. You explain dysgraphia as simply and briefly as you can - people with dysgraphia do not develop automaticity of handwriting, therefore attempting to remediate is pointless and takes time away from meaningful activities such as teaching keyboarding skills.

I've got to run (sorry) but the last thing I'll add for now is that - IF you or the team decide you are advocating for an IEP there will be an eligibility evaluation. IF you or the team decide you are requesting a 504 the process is much quicker and easier. That *doesn't* mean it's better or the right thing for your ds - just wanted to point out the processes to the ends are different. IF you go for the IEP (which I suspect you probably should), the team will say your ds needs to go through RTI for some period because that's basically the process. You can, however, advocate that RTI has, in effect, already happened based on the reading tutoring and handwriting OT he has already had.

Sorry, gotta run! I hope some of that makes sense!

Best wishes,

polarbear