Loy58 - we never were really considering private school at all, but DS seems to be achieving at a higher level than his current school can accommodate, and we have been recommended a private school. The reason we are considering two schools is because it looks like there is a place for DS to start at the private school next year, but there is a waiting list for K, and it is a possibility that DD would not get in. That would mean the local public school for her. Which is a good school. And cheaper.

If you ask me what I think about DD's IQ, I do think she is right there with him, but at the same time, whereas he went into K with what I think is at least a year 2 reading and math level (the school has not assessed his reading level that high, but one private assessment put him at year 3 and we are awaiting another private assessment result), DD does not read yet or do much in the way of math. I think she will learn quickly once she gets into it, but I think she would be okay at the local public school at least for a couple of years. We will get her IQ assessed, but she is only 4.5 so we are waiting a bit. I guess she doesn't have the same academic drive. DS is also very into science and astronomy in particular.

I hear you on the convenience issue daytripper75! I cycle our kids to the local school now, but I will have to be getting into the car and driving to the private school. DD will end up being DS's little sister even if they end up going to different schools since DS will have spent a year there already.