Dubsyd - are you contemplating two schools because only your oldest has proved to be high ability at the moment? Here is why I ask: after DD9 was tested last year, our tester told me that it was not uncommon for siblings to be in the same IQ range (but with different strengths). I looked into this myself, and found some sources that suggested the same thing - without LDs, siblings are often VERY close in IQ (http://www.giftedminds.com.au/attachments/Like_Minds.pdf). Low and behold, DS6 was recently tested and compared with his DYS sibling, he is within 1-3 points FSIQ/GAI (both of my DC have lower WM/PSI, than VCI/PRI, but no LDs). So you, too, may not be imagining it - your DD could be very close to your DS in ability.

I mention this, too, because there is a VERY PRICEY private gifted school in our region, but I now realize that I'd have to send BOTH DC - and that would cause HUGE financial strain. We are going to make every effort to work with our PS system first. I am actually glad that we figured DS out now, because the school seemed like a better potential "fallback" for us when it was likely only ONE child would NEED it.

Still, mine DO attend 2 different schools (and usually will if we stay in this school system), because that is how the schools organize themselves. The schools favor HUGE grade sizes, but only 3 grades per school. The upside to this for my kiddos is "whole class differentiation," where each learning leveled group has its own class and teacher.

Best of luck - it is difficult to figure out the "school puzzle"!