We have two kids DS5 and DD4. DS has been assessed as gifted, and as you might have seen from some of my posts here, we are working on negotiating with his school. DD has not been formally assessed. I think her IQ will end up being similar to DS, but where he has always been obsessed with letters and numbers and learned to read at 3, she had not been that interested in 'academic' things. But her way of reasoning suggests she processes information and makes connections very well.

Anyway, we have been recommended a school that caters well to gifted kids, and I am looking in to it. They will have a place for DS next year if we decide to go, but there is a wait list for K. Instinctively, I feel like DD will fit in well at the local public school for at least K and probably year 1. And it would be a lot cheaper only to have one child going private. But I don't want to be denying her opportunities either.

Does anyone send their kids to different schools? I guess it is about finding the best school fit for each child, and that can mean different schools.

I also find myself wondering about the emotional aspects of switching schools for DS. I know he would make friends eventually, but going from a school where you know everyone to a school where you are joining a class that has been together for a year seems like a big challenge. But then the idea of him being better catered for academically is a big plus.

I am going to an information session at the potential new school next month, so I will get a better feel for it then, which may help with the decision. Of course if I love the school I will be that much more worried about DS not being able to go too.