Originally Posted by master of none
If you feel comfortable, I might offer to attend a meeting with the family. Not because you can bring about a miracle but so the school staff sees you and might be less likely to snowball them if you confront with the truth over and over. For example, sometimes I say, but I know two children who carried a computer for the past 2 years so I know it's possible. You can be the counter example in this way.

The other thing your attendance might do is give this family confidence. They probably feel abused and taken advantage of. If they know it happens to everyone, even a veteran, it might soften the feeling of being abused. Though it sounds like they were abused. How did they get your name? Probably a good Samaritan. Maybe a staff member who didn't like what they saw going on? There is probably positive somewhere in there. And from that, you can help this family cope with what is. If you are so inclined-- it's a lot to take on and there is certainly no obligation.

All great suggestions everyone! Thank you. I will direct them to this forum. Hm. Maybe I could attend a meeting with them. Not sure I would be any good for them. But at least my presence would cut down on the total BS factor.

The mom contacted me after she saw us going to our "gifted in the title" camp this summer! She asked another family who also attends this camp about us and our situation. The other family knows about our struggle (as they have had the same struggle and are now off to private school).