Originally Posted by SouthLake
I think the chief difficulty is that in many states gifted kids don't have a right to gifted education. You could try the state's office of education.

I witnessed a somewhat similar instance with an immigrant family I was trying to help get special education services (as in non-gifted, disability related services). Really egregious behavior--including catching mom in the hall and having her sign a document the teacher claimed was just permission to start special services, that was in English (mom's English was conversationally ok but limited for legalese) and then later claiming that constituted a valid IEP!

We reported them to the state office, who investigated and meted out minor punishment. But then office of education leaves and you have to deal with the bitter aftermath. I guess I'm saying it helped in the short run but not the long run. YMMV

This stuff is the major reason we homeschool now. There are some amazing people in the public schools--teachers, psychologists, speech therapists, aides. My disabled child has been helped tremendously by many of them. Unfortunately there are some less than amazing people in the public schools, too. And I have reached the point that fortunately I have enough resources that I don't need to depend on those people.

But I realize this doesn't help people who are trapped in public schools. Sorry to be a downer.

Yes, there is some down and dirty behavior going on here too.

I guess I can just point the family in the right direction of the applicable laws of our state and let them know who makes up the chain of command.