Ndw, t hank you so much for your supportive thoughts. You are right, ewe do have a lot to be thankful for, and I am proud of how well DS has managed in school so far - socially I mean, and in PE, his areas of challenge.
I do get that whatever is going on in his mind (usually we know exactly what it is because he lets us all be part of it, one of those kids who never shuts up) is more interesting than socks! DonT I know it. My DH hates it when I go off in my head (I sometimes do it during conversations even, which must be disconcerting to say the least) but it is just the most interesting place I usually have access to. Hey, I learned it in school wink. I would probably be concerned about ADHD if we did not see complete focus and organization in projects he is engaged in. He can be like a preteen then, super helpful and committed. Though a lot of the time I am afraid he comes across as a very immature and badly behaved 7 year old, constantly goofing off, bothering his sister, never shutting up, touching everything, messing about. Then spouting some crazy advanced math, just because it came up in his a head...from what I hear, he is very well behaved in school though, one of the more focused kids in class. Maybe he just holds it together very well and then needs to let out all that compressed mental energy. He does best when he has a stimulating mental experience first (we can occasionally drive him to math and science enrichment classes for gifted kids, he loves those) and gets to pla y in sand and mud or other intense sensory stuff after. We try to spend a lot of time outdoors when on vacation, but it's not enough, we can tell he'll start spinning his wheels and will go into overdrive.
There is no question he will need the gifted program to thrive, and I like how they talk about supporting kids who have not been able to develop study skills due to being able to Coast all through elementary, or who need writing support due to being younger. Even if we do not accelerate again, he'll start fifth grade at 9.