Hi all, some time lurker, new poster. blush

I've always loved the depth of the discussions here, but never thought to join as we are not in the US, thus not eligible for DYS, and more importantly, rather felt that while our three children were very bright and most likely gifted, they were certainly nowhere near HG+...

However, we recently had our oldest son, 7 going on 8, a rising third grader in a catholic elementary, tested for possible entry into a gifted program starting in fifth grade (self contained classroom in a public college prep school, cutoff 130). He was given a European version of the WISC, using extended norms, and scored an FSIQ of 154.
I literally felt a bit faint when I saw the number. The tester said that without using extended norms, he would have hit the ceiling at 147. Not sure how these numbers compare to scores on the original WISC but they must be somewhere in between the 99.9th and the 99.99th percentile, so, maybe, EG? No idea whether at this point it really matters either way.

Concerning the gifted program, the tester's opinion was it wasn't a question of if but rather when, as she felt that DS7 (who was entered early with a bday just a few weeks after the cutoff) should probably be accelerated again and either skip into 4th now or directly into fifth grade of the gifted program in a year.

My gut reaction was no way! (Full disclosure: I am the survivor of a very badly handled grade skip in elementary school myself).

DS7 is somewhat socially awkward, very much the little professor/geek type, he has sensory issues, anxiety, rigidity, OEs, tics, struggles with impulse control, self-regulation, perfectionism, the works (he had a full ASD eval at 4 but scored nowhere near the cut offs. The one subtest he completely bombed was social comprehension which the tester said was par for the course for the HG+ population who want logic in all walks of life and have a hard time dealing with the messiness of emotions and relationships, but who have non of the mind blindness of Kids with ASD). He is finally integrated in the class and has friends, he'll hang out at the soccer pitch making up elaborate fair play rules and a complicated carding system ( 0he even tells stories about joining in and scoring goals, but I have a feeling that is wishful thinking rather than reality), he joined the choir and was part of the school musical - first kid on the left in third row but STILL! He gets C grades in PE, is very uncoordinated but has finally found some confidence in swimming and judo. He worries about having a new teacher, new subjects and generally about not keeping up in third grade, for heavens sakes...

I actually think that his 2e tendencies have sort of "masked" his real LOG to us so far. I mean, some of the math and physics issues he discusses with DH (math and physics teacher in a college prep) are beyond me, but I always figured that was about my abysmal math and science classes at my languages-heavy Latin school rather than about his advanced understanding. And mostly we focus on his socio emotional development at home.

Except for the one subtest mentioned and average digit span backwards (which kinda fits as not only is he uncoordinated but also needs about 20 reminders to put his socks on in the morning), his test results do not show any weaknesses. Well, duh, it's all between the 97th ant the 99.9th percentile. Of course. His report card, received today, says social and academic conduct is great only he does not keep track of his stuff and needs reminders to hand in assignments (see socks, putting on of, above) and he prefers doing his extension work to finishing finishing his compulsory work. Again, duh...

The tester said flat out "with his score, he won't stand it through fourth grade without another skip". Still, I just do not see him in fourth grade this fall, or in fifth grade across town, almost an hours bus ride away, next year. (we were planning to move closer anyway but not for a few years yet). The gifted program would be a self contained classroom in a public college prep school, cutoff 130, but skewing somewhat higher as the parents of high achieving MG kids tend to prefer the regular college prep program. They do have an excellent reputation and apparently do great with multiple grade skippers.

We picked his current school for its emphasis both on community and rigour and the school skews highly on both SES and achievement. Apparently his class works way above grade level. Differentiation consists of extension work rather than different work (as in "finish your regular work first", so, meh...but the school works for him for other reasons: open ended assignments, lots of projects, lots and lots of worship, with services at the end of every half term that need to be prepared - I think DS finds it soothing, and I have to say it's all very well done. The high standards seem to be mostly achieved through insane amounts of homework - at least other parents complain of up to three hours daily and of feeling like unpaid after school tutors. DS polishes his homework off in a weary sort of way and I rarely get to see it. Altogether I would describe his attitude towards his academics as mostly politely bored, except for a few meltdowns during some mind numbing revision time at the beginning of the year, but he loves the school for all theses other aspects.

Having gotten the report rather late, I have not been able to set up an end of year conference but his second grade teacher will be around next year for any questions I may have on how he actually presents in school and what shed recommend.
His third grade teacher will be the vice principal, apparently very experienced and competent, but I do not know her at all. I do not know who to approach first for advice and advocacy - old teacher, new teacher, old school, potential new school? Should I ask to do their best to keep him engaged for another two years, by giving him higher level material now? Or to help him prepare for a skip - presumably also by giving him higher level material now?

Thanks for reading my novel! Any and all thoughts appreciated...

Tigerle