mnmom, we haven't done this with math but we have run into a similar but slightly different argument from school when we were thinking of doing this for a science course - the school vetoed it by telling us that another student had tried the same path and that the course wasn't in-depth enough so it "didn't work out for her" - as in, it didn't work for one student so it won't work for *your* student. What I would do, in your case, when advocating is to ask what the specific issues were that the students in the past found difficult? Then have a plan to address those issues should they arise.

I really am somewhat dumbfounded (really!) by people who assume students will have trouble with Algebra II - I would guess that any child who is able enough to be accelerated in math is going to transition into, and do well, in Algebra II. I would use her IQ results as part of a "data package" when advocating - it isn't going to sound "wrong" or pushy - it's just part of the "package" that supports the ability to do independent work and to take Algebra II: she has a set of grades from previous classes and results from standardized achievement tests in math - those are proof of her achievement, recommendations from teachers (if she has them) + the IQ scores are supportive proof of her abilities.

If the school is specifically concerned about your dd not being present for lectures, then I'd suggest you look into online courses or taking the course at a local college where she can listen to the teacher's lectures. I don't think she necessarily *needs* this - particularly if she's good at math, but if it does turn into a stumbling block I think there are quite a few ways around it.

Good luck advocating!

polarbear