My older son is and has always been below "the charts" in height...we cheer when his height makes it on the chart. His best friend was the tallest in the class in fourth and fifth grade...they looked so cute together...Bert and Ernie cute.

My younger son tall...not off the charts tall but 90%tile tall. For us he is a giant....his best friend in first, second and last year is a child like my older son....teeny below the chart...

My point is, in my experience height isn't an issue. Kids like kids who they like and height doesn't even matter. We have never skipped my older son...but if height had come up in a meeting about skipping we would have said that even if we put him down two grades he would still not be considered tall, in no environment will he ever be anything but short....that is just something he lives with like having blue eyes. I keep thinking someone has to be short...or else no one could be average and tall.

Now we did skip my younger son and height never came up....because I bet he would have to go up two more grades before he looked smallish.