Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
Originally Posted by master of none
What's most important is that she see herself for who she is and that she love that person. Quirky or not, she needs to own herself and her place in the world.

Virtual clap!

I have been thinking of this a lot as I drive past our town's enormous high schools. I'm not sure anymore that I want DSs to go through all the stupid social stuff that goes on in high school (I'm talking about the in/out/popular/unpopular/labels, etc.). I used to think that all mattered somehow from a learning to survive standpoint, but now I wonder if avoiding the mean kids and being at a smaller, more inclusive high school where they can be themselves and grow without that stuff would be better.
My experience, both my personal one and that of my children. Is this kind of thing is worse in 6th, 7th, 8th grade than high school. And a smaller school can make this worse. In the very large high schools there are more social groups allowing a student to find a comfortable place. It does help that the schools that I attended and my kids attend are known for the academics more than their sports programs.