How important do you think imaginative play is? What do you classify as imaginative play?

I recently saw a post on another forum about how much more important imaginative play is than academic skills. I totally agreed before I had DS3.5... But somehow he taught himself how to read at 2, & has a fascination with numbers that borders on obsession. I've tried to gently encourage imaginative play in our day to day life, but he rarely seems interested. Often he just looks at me like I'm crazy!

We don't have as many toys as some, but I only purchase open ended toys. He has a play kitchen, a dollhouse, and a Noah's Ark with animals. Although he might play with these from time to time, he's much more interested in his Magnatiles, gears set, card games, or counting holes in the dehumidifier and creating addition problems about it. I've always told myself that these activities require creative thinking, which utilizes a form of imagination... However, I've been wondering lately if he's missing out on the more socially oriented aspects of what might be more traditionally classified as "imaginative play."

Perhaps it's just personality. Maybe he's just not the kind of kid who's ever going to get down on all fours and bark like a dog.

I'd love to hear what y'all think!