I think it comes down to the fact that in this country we have decided that disabled people should have similar access to public facilities/services, generally under the ADA. Personally I find the argument most compelling when we are talking about government provided services since I think equal protection under the law should mean, well, equal protection. However, interestingly this has already been applied in a number of cases to private settings such as motels and hotels or your doctor's office.

When mobility disabled people ride airplanes, to cite your example, the airlines and airport have to provide transportation services (for example between terminals). Someone has to pay the salaries of those people who push the wheelchairs to carry these people where they need to go. These people don't pay a higher ticket price. Who pays? You and me. Most people don't seem to have a problem with that.

You may not be aware of this, but when a deaf patient seeks care in a private doctor's office (in the US) that physician is legally obligated to provide for a sign language translator, even at the typical cost of a few hundred dollars (because often mileage charges and minimums apply). That's even though the typical Medicaid or Medicare reimbursement for the patient's visit is well below this amount. And the physician is expressly not allowed to charge the patient or the insurer (usually Medicare) for this. One doctor got sued successfully because he tried to substitute written communication since he knew the patient could read and write. Who pays for that? Obviously initially the doctor takes the loss but eventually that also gets passed on to me and you.

My point is only that it is unfair to decide some disabled people get accommodations at public cost and some don't. Certainly the incremental public cost here is minimal (a few cubic feet of air?) particularly given the state in the case has already agreed the child is disabled and requires an aide at least some of the time, at public expense.

Yes, disability is expensive and in virtually all cases somebody besides the disabled person is picking up part of the tab. Just ask all the motels that had to spend thousands upgrading their pools to make them accessible to people in wheelchairs following recent changes in the law. Or ask the families supporting these disabled persons (who pay taxes too).

Last edited by SouthLake; 06/19/14 02:32 AM. Reason: Politeness