Warning: I have to go all momma bear here. Sorry in advance.

We are talking about a state park, not a private business. In fact, this same state is even paying for this therapist to be there. If a blind person needed a seeing eye dog, it would get let into the park free. I think maybe some people don't understand what these behavioral therapists do. It is pretty critical that they be with the child in the same settings where there are issues/behaviors that have to be addressed. Somewhat related to this , the state pays for my disabled kid to have an aide in his class. Without it, he wouldn't be getting the FAPE he is legally entitled to. At least in California, the law says that disabled people have a right to enjoyment and recreation (Lanterman Act). If a state park can be required to provide handicapped parking and expensive walkways for people who need a wheelchair why is my kid less equal because his disability involves something other than mobility? Let's be clear : the therapist is not there to have fun and didn't even swim. She/he is there because otherwise this disabled child cannot use this state park as it was intended, on an equal footing with non disabled peers. I realize this seems like a trivial point for some people but it is a sore spot for many in the autism community. Our kids are not less equal or less loved.

Last edited by SouthLake; 06/18/14 07:22 PM.