We don't shield our kids from most news in this house (obviously, there are boundaries regarding things they don't understand yet). ***edit*** We had a long and meandering discussion about Trayvon Martin, racism, gay marriage, and other stuff lasts night with my 9- and 12-year-olds. I tried to help my kids understand why people shoot a kid with Skittles and iced tea, and why prejudicial ideas develop and persist. We spent a chunk of that time discussing Stand Your Ground laws. We want our kids to feel comfortable coming to us with any questions they have about whatever.

So I agree with others here that exposing young kids to the ugliness of the world is important. It helps them develop an ability to analyze events and people's attempts to manipulate others. Developing an ability to self-protect is very important part of that process.

Honestly, I don't see much value in shielding kids from the world, and I have trouble even understanding it. First, the kids are less able to develop those skills mentioned above. Also, kids hear about bad stuff when they're not at home (or even at home if the news is playing or if there's a newspaper lying around). Third, when parents avoid controversial topics, they send a clear message to their kids: Don't talk about this with me. Kids can't understand the parental perspective of being "protected." They're far more likely to infer don't talk to mom and/or dad about this topic, and a line of communication is closed. That line won't suddenly open up when the kids are older and are thinking about sex or realizing that they're gay or have questions some topic that mom and dad don't want to discuss. Etc.

So, this post may not make me very popular, but IMO, when parents avoid certain issues, they risk creating kids who aren't equipped to deal with many challenges in life.

Last edited by Mark Dlugosz; 06/03/14 11:29 AM. Reason: discussing a topic already deleted