Originally Posted by fitzi
We had some interaction with the principal this year and made a couple of missteps (on both sides, I would say). I am researching district policy, but trying to do so in a way that will not give the appearance of going around her. If it comes to a confrontation, of course, even if we win, we lose, as the atmosphere will be spoiled.

We had a similar experience if it helps. We have three people we're dealing with: the director of special education (GT program), the K-school principal and the elementary principal. Not every meeting went smoothly as in general they do not want to accelerate or do early admissions (since that is technically what we are asking for if we ask to skip K).

We just try to be as constructive as possible and have kept the attitude that "hey, one way or another we'll be working together over the next several." I know that a lot of people have had really negative experiences with PS but our general experience has been that they are professionals and they are not making it personal. That said (a) we just started! and (b) we are fortunate enough to be in a position to get an outside opinion. Our state does mandate identification. So in a few ways we're better off than a lot of people.

Good luck.

JB