Originally Posted by Dottie
Originally Posted by Fitzi
Without acceleration, I think the public school is impossible, since D reads at 3rd-4th grade level and has taught himself through at least through second grade math in about the last five months. So he won't learn anything in first grade. His behavior is on the young side, though, and we know from talking with them this year that the school administration is very strongly opposed to accelaration.
That's a tough combo, but it could still work. Do you know how your district pans out for GT kids in general? Are there many identified? A good group of peers in a class can be just as good, and sometimes even better than acceleration. We've found a bit of both to be enough to make things doable for us.

FWIW, our district could probably be classified as "strongly opposed to acceleration" as well, but with a lot of persuasion, lots of data and persistence, we've been able to take our school into "never before charted waters", and so far it's been pretty smooth sailing.

Best wishes as you explore your options!

Dottie:

Thanks for your interest. D spent a little time at the school last winter, so we know something about the make-up. There is once- or twice- a week GT enrichment through pull out for a group of about four children at his grade level. The GT teacher said she'd never worked with anyone like him, though, because of his reading skills and speed of uptake (this was her informal assessment; I have no idea myself where he is on any of the standard scales). So I don't know if this would make an effective peer group - especially since they work together just half an hour or an hour a week.

We are trying to organize a rational advocacy position to take into discussion with the school in the fall. His behavioral weaknesses - as you point out - complicate the case. But I think his behavior will be better if his attention is engaged.

Congratulations on getting a good situation organized for your child. I am just beginning to appreciate how much work is involved in this task.

Last edited by fitzi; 07/06/08 12:22 PM.