Originally Posted by greenlotus
How do I convince someone that she can handle work for an older child? Even at the library I wonder how to get it across to librarians that my child can read some adult books (she loves non-fiction) in the reference section... I need to convince others that she can do things that much bigger and older kids can do. Helpful hints?
To clarify my original response: organizations may be concerned with not only whether a child under the recommended age range for an activity can "handle work for an older child" and "can do things that much bigger and older kids can do"... but also whether the child can handle themselves, and also handle the unexpected (for example, a negative social situation, being overlooked, being ignored, or being presented with unforeseen and unanticipated information).

The helpful hint would be coaching the child to the point where a parent may honestly say that the child gets along well with others especially older children, is a great self-advocate and respectfully makes her needs known, and is emotionally mature... that she will be an asset to the event and not a burden... no one will notice her younger age.

When an organization makes an exception to their rules and is rewarded with a child's tears or a parent's chastisement, this may be like smacking the oobleck with a spoon, creating an unyielding solid which is less likely to be flexible in their age rules.