I am just curious about something in your post. You said the test was normed for grade 2.8. My DD had this test to check for possible learning disabilities and the psych didn't mention a particular grade level test. I told him she's in third grade and he had her DOB but was focused on her grade and thought she was actually a year older that she is. I didn't mention she was grade accelerated and should actually be in second grade based on her age. So then when I got the scores, they didn't really make sense. For instance the handwriting score put her at a percentile of 50, but it put her in the middle of third grade for a GE. But most kids who are a few months past their 8th birthday are not in the middle of third grade. That happened for one or two other subtests as well. 50th percentile put her at the middle to end of third grade when technically she's not old enough to be in third grade.

Anyone have any insight into that?

I asked him if he maybe put the wrong age into the scoring system and he said he put in the DOB that I listed on the form. I think he was surprised when I told her that she's not 9 though, she had turned 8 a few months before the test. Previously, when he talked about her he kept referring to her as a "9 year old" and I never bothered to correct him.

In terms of the grade equivalents, I think they are pretty useless and don't mean a whole lot. DD had one grade equivalent level that was post high school, but her standard score only put her at the 80th percentile for that test. So a very high percentage of kids were scoring WAY ahead of their grade in the norming sample for that particular test, at least. What I found most useful was taking the standard scores and looking online to find the corresponding percentile using a chart like this: http://www.medfriendly.com/standardscoretopercentileconversion.html

So a score of 125 in Broad Reading would mean he's at the 95th percentile, or probably one of the top kids in the class. But would 5th grade level books really be appropriate? Maybe or maybe not. The comprehension score is lower. That's what I mean by taking the grade equivalents with a grain of salt. Applied problems would be around the 77th percentile but a lot higher for calculation. So you could think about reasons why there is a difference there (with my DD, she was higher for applied problems than calculation). One thing you could work on with your child, for example, or ask the teacher about, would be to work more on word problems rather than working more on computation, which he is already high on. Or ask about reasons why is applied problems score is so much lower. Does she see evidence of that in class? My DD is the opposite in that she needs to work more on computation. Hope this helps.