Dear cee,

Check with the administrator about opting out first before talking to your DS. Most schools would not let you do it. Besides, it usually won't take that long. Most kids (especially the kids in this forum) will finish in less than half the time.

My DD10 (5th grade) is planning to skip 6th grade TAG class (7th and 8th grade Math) and go straight to Algebra I next year. She will have to take 7th grade Math, 8th grade Math, Iowa assessment for Algebra readiness test and 8th grade TEKS test as per district policy.

So, what your DS has to go through is not as bad :-)

There are free online resources for grade level including Khan Academy. Our State uses Glencoe publishing and it has online edition and testing. My DD just take the test on each chapters and review the text when she does not get 90%. Here's the link.

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078740479/student_view0/chapter1/chapter_readiness_quiz.html

Some paid sites like Thinkwell Academy has better tests. The kids who haven't taught the curriculum will have gaps and that way, they can see where the gaps are and fill them up before accelerating.

Good Luck!