My son is completely miserable in 6th grade math. He skipped 2nd grade but this math is just ridiculously repetitive for him and I agree. I don't think he should have to endure the several hours of exams on this topic. There is no impact on his math average for the class whether he takes the test or not; the results are simply sent to the state.

He is not looking forward to the exams at all...Would anyone here agree that I should let him opt out?

Another reason to opt out, is that I am considering letting him take the Accelerated 7/8 grade Math final assessment test, now. It was brought up by the guidance counselor and principal. He's scheduled to be in this class next year, during his grade 7. However, if he gets a passing score, and shows competency even though he has not yet been taught the material, it might be reason enough to place him in an even higher level math class than that. I don't have math textbooks at home. I have no idea if this is a fair test for him to take. He LEARNS and memorizes things super fast, and retains them. He scores 100s in grade 6 math, but does that mean taking a grade 7/8 math test is a good idea?

Would you let your child opt out of 6th grade state assessment exam?

And do you think taking the 7/8 accelerated exam now, is a good idea, just to see what his level of math comprehension is?