Originally Posted by cee
He is not looking forward to the exams at all...Would anyone here agree that I should let him opt out?

No, there's no way I'd let my child opt out of a state exam, and especially not just because they weren't looking forward to it. If you let him opt out of this exam for this reason, what are you going to tell him in a few years if he says he doesn't want to take the PSAT because he's not looking forward to it?

FWIW my ds is subject accelerated in math, but he takes the state test at his grade level every year (ie, not at the higher level of course that he's in). I don't think my ds reallly looks forward to any type of state testing, but he's done well on the state test anyway (and doesn't prep for it).

Another reason to opt out, is that I am considering letting him take the Accelerated 7/8 grade Math final assessment test, now.

I think taking the Accelerated 7/8 Math assessment is a great idea - but I don't see how taking it now has anything to do with participating in the state testing. Students in our school district being considered for math acceleration take both tests in 6th grade.

I have no idea if this is a fair test for him to take.

Rather than focus on whether or not this is a "fair" test, my suggestion is to look on your school district website for a specific list of math curriculum in each class, and see if you have a gut feeling re what class your ds is ready for.

Best wishes,

polarbear