IMHO, it's not possible. I've been at it for over 20 years. When I was in high school, our district had some serious issues (in addition to the issues that most public schools today face). I happened to be a student leader at the time who was particularly invested in the particular issue of the moment. I had endless meetings with parents, administrators, students. Nothing progressed ever. I remember thinking at the time that the reason that there was no progress was that I was just a kid and I just didn't have the experience and maturity to move things along.

After I graduated from college, I began working in public schools. I found myself still motivated to work on "making change" in public schools. Endless meetings, promises, organizing. Nothing. Eventually I left public schools for private schools and hospital work.

Recently I found myself back working "with" public schools for change, as my son's advocate. I can tell you that nothing has changed in over 20 years. My opinion: the individual systems found in public schools are too large and political, the quality of teachers has plummeted (this is probably the biggest problem), the legislation over the past 20 years has been stifling and, with regard to gifted ed, the continuing anti-intellectualism all work together to produce the mess that exists. I think that there are tiny little pockets of effective schools and teachers out there. But they are extremely rare.

I think the situation is hopeless, which I find to be sad.