My husband and I met with our 3rd grader's principal today. She appeared to be open to discuss all options. She also stated that she has a sub-specialty in gifted education. I brought in a list of what we know - IQ numbers , 99% composites on Cogat and Iowa, Lexile score of 1145. We reviewed the numbers, and then the principal pulled up the Case 21 scores from 2 weeks ago. My daughter did terrible on them (relatively speaking)compared to all the other testing. The principal was baffled and asked us if anything was going on that day. The school district uses those and EOG scores to determine single subject or whole grade acceleration!! My heart sank. The principal went on to state that maybe, just maybe, her other scores would be part of the evaluation process. She just wasn't sure as the whole process is changing. She did acknowledge that for our daughter the AIG services would not be enough of a challenge, particularly since it's group work which doesn't seem like it's something that DD likes to do.
She also pointed out that our daughter's IQ was an 18 on Matrix reasoning and about as good on the other Perceptual Reasoning vs. a 12 on the Digit Span in Working Memory. She asked if the tester had pointed that out. She had, but didn't seem concerned. Should we be?? It is a large difference.
The principal then went through the personality traits of giftedness and laughed as we checked off a lot of those boxes. She asked if our daughter "bought in" the concept of applying herself to school. She wondered if our daughter understood that, without putting forth effort, school wasn't going to go so well. She stated again that she was perplexed by her low scores on the Case 21 and asked if she could take her on as a "special project". She would meet with her occasionally, and she asked if she could do "Brainology" with her.
We also agreed to do a Woodcock Johnson achievement test with our daughter and then meet back mid-May.
Well? It didn't go badly, but I am very surprised by the low Case 21 scores and rather discouraged.