Maybe it is unusual but I think it was easier, in some ways, to see my DD's giftedness when she was younger. Unless you specifically ask her about her topics of interest at this point you would not really notice it. It was also obvious to our pediatrician, her pre-school teacher etc... However, when a one year old has a full adult conversation with a stranger it is obvious. I guess the thing that I have noticed and seems to be common across children on this board is not the area of talent as much as the obsessiveness. I did not think of this as a trait of giftedness but am more and more convinced that it is. For instance, at 2 my DD was obsessed with dinosaurs. She knew which dinosaurs lived when and in what order. All of their traits etc and could discuss them in an educated way. So much so that when she struck up a conversation with a stranger when we were on vacation that happened to be a paleontologist at Cornell he volunteered his e-mail (and asked me to e-mail for her) to answer any questions she might have that were not easily answered. She is not interested in dinosaurs any more but has moved on to many more topics and attacks them in the same way. So I guess that is the type of thing I would look for in your daughters. If you have an HG kid and this does not apply chime in, I am by no means an expert. The obsessiveness is just something that I have noticed.