We are in CA so parents are responsible for many things that used to just happen in public schools (because there is so little money coming from the state).

Being homeroom mom is hard at our school because it is dual language - so everything you send home has to be in two languages and many people may be bilingual but not biliterate. We also have to send notes home in both paper form and in email.

So parents are around all the time and are very needed - both because we need fundraising and because we need volunteers working in the art and literacy programs and to help in the computer lab, etc.

I avoid being room mom because I hate coordinating the teacher gifts and parties but at least at our schools the parties are great. We have a wealth of cultures represented and parents will send in amazing food for the parties. Our school likes to party! I think each class has two potlucks per year. The school culture is very warm and welcoming which helps.

There is a group that advises the school on curriculum and policies, and that is made up of a few parents (elected) and a few interested teachers and the principal. Good changes have come out of the group. I think sometimes it is called SIP or SSC, they can have different acronyms depending on your state.

Reading these posts makes me feel really good about my ds's school because socially there aren't parents being mean about art (we have art volunteer training) and no room parents are on a power trip. I wish we had more funding from the state so that the PTA didn't have to fund buses for field trips and the salaries of the art, music, computer teachers for the school to have those classes. Fundraising sucks.

Last edited by titubeante; 02/27/14 03:30 PM.