I'm completely new to this forum but have found it a great resource so far. My son's birthday (Oct) falls just after the usual cut off for the school year. He is almost 2.5 yo and shows all the usual signs of being advanced, possibly gifted, his pre-school music teacher wonders if he's a genius but we take that with a pinch of salt.

There's a public montessori pre-k program that accepts kids who turn 3 by September. I'm wondering if we should get him evaluated/tested so we can make a case for getting him into the Pre-K program in spite of his age. It would make a huge difference 1) financially, as it's a public montessori 2) offer him engagement in a mixed age (3-6) classroom.

has anyone had experience with trying to get kids into pre-K early? or with the birthday cut-off issue?

the other question is about music lessons. My son really wants to play an instrument/all instruments! My husband and I don't have any music background so we enrolled him in standard toddler music class which is basically circle time with some rhythm activities and singing. Is it too early to find private instruction for him? should he just be playing and having fun banging on stuff instead of proper training at this age?

thanks much for any insight.