Originally Posted by Grinity
Sounds good Val,
Do keep us posted!
How do they figure out where a kid belongs, and what do they do with kids who are 'multilevel' within a single subject - for example 'Algebra idea ready' but slow with the multiplication facts. Or Reading at 10th grade, writing at 2nd grade?

Smiles,
Grinity

Here's how they explained it to me: they'll test him, and if reading is 10th grade, he'll do 10th grade reading. If writing is 2nd grade, he'll do 2nd grade writing. It's all subject-specific.

The mathematics is supposedly the same, but this will be more difficult. My son is doing algebra right now and isn't have any apparent trouble with it. My husband and I have been showing him about graphing lines and slopes, etc. and he gets it easily and has managed to work out some details on his own.

We skipped grades 6-8 maths but I go over various aspects of it with him as required. So, for example, algebra has a lot of crossover with grade 8 maths and sometimes he works problems in the grade 8 book.

He's learning a lot of the 6-8 stuff (which is not difficult conceptually) through applications in algebra. He's very happy with this arrangement. I have no idea how the school will handle it, though! It'll be a challenge to figure out. I'll report....