Originally Posted by master of none
DD skipped K and I didn't prepare her academically. For us, that was a mistake.

MON,
Sorry that happened. I'm glad you spoke up. My son's skip was no bed of roses, but I still think it beat that alternative. Here's what happened to us.

1) We asked for a skip from 5th to 6th, during October.
2) The school evaluated him, including the Algebra Readiness test. He did well - he's great on 'aptitude' tests, but only 'pretty good' on measures of actual achievement!
3) The school offered a full skip plus a subject acceleration into the 'high' Math. We had the weekend to review the material.

So a kid who just finished 4th grade math, when straight into an honors class for 7th graders, which taught what was essentially an 8th grade class. Without any hothousing. And with missing half of his combine Language Arts/History class every day. And being one month late. And being rocketed into Middle School. And with an outgoing, verbal, attention-loving kid who was delighted to tell everyone who would listen that he was gradeskiped because he was so smart. ((LOL - not showing smart behavior in my book!))

Did it work? No.
3 months into it they firmly suggested a move back into 6th grade math, with twice a week pullout to deal with the bordom factor. Yes, he was never quite accepted by the new classmates in his very small school.

The good news:
A) He 'gets' that a person shouldn't act that way!
B) His behavior in Math was wonderful all year this year, when he took the same class again, with the same teacher, and the same book.
C) The gradeskip did help reverse a really bad attitude about all things academic. DS11 requested a 'science camp' this summer, and I've found two wonderful hands on science/engineering style day camps for him.
D) He's learned how to study, and do his homework!

I always thought that an early skip would have helped. Truth is- we aren't actually in control of this whole thing! Yuck!

Do you have a friend you has a kid in the 1st grade who can show you the homework? I think that's the best. I just don't know if hothousing will be needed. Best to ask if there are placement exams, etc.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com