It is challenging to have your child in that situation. I do not understand why teachers fail miserably at recognizing giftedness. We are in a similar situation where we did private full psychoeducational testing and found our son to be PG with a GAI of 158 with extended norms. We even shared the results with her and still received blowback about how he isn't that gifted -- because he has friends! She gives a multitude of reasons of why he isn't gifted, mostly because he doesn't know the answers already for things that haven't been taught yet! She has done very little out of level testing, so I can't even be sure what level of reading or math my son is at. It has become problematic because I have no support for acceleration. She's apparently taught some "truly" gifted kids over the years. My son doesn't fit what she perceives as gifted and yet the likelihood she's taught a kid like him before is very, very slim.

I think the most significant issues with having a teacher like that is that they can destroy a kid's self esteem. It is tough when a child's abilities aren't recognized. It is certainly worth discussing with her why there was such a discrepancy between her scores and the test scores. Sometimes, like in our case, her ideas on giftedness may just be unrealistic. I just don't think some people can be convinced or just they don't want to be wrong. It will be very interesting to show your findings and ask her what her reasoning was for her observations when they don't reflect reality. Sometimes it's really oddball things like executive functioning skills that are held with high regard.

Mom to DS9 and DD6