Yes. They choose popular children who are socially gregarious and extroverted, often strongly so, and generally those who are good athletes as well as moderately good (and highly compliant) teacher-pleaser students. It seems that these children are generally chosen from the 80th-95th percentile ranks in terms of classroom performance.

I've seldom seen the 2e kids, the dreamy ones, the introverts with all of the answers, or the prickly children get chosen this way. No matter how much they have to offer.

Yup.

I feel fortunate that DD is in classes with a bunch of other square gifted pegs, so she doesn't stand out as much as she would as prickly/tricky/difficult. But except for those few adults who really enjoy her (they do exist), she will miss out on the teacher perks.

OTOH, DS is frankly a teacher and staff favorite. He is athletic, and a natural "clown" and dancer (DD has no rhythm and is rather awkward, though she now is okay athletically, though not good). They give him good behavior tickets for breathing. MY DAUGHTER NOTICES THIS. It is no help to her or to their relationship. Eventually it will be no help to him, either.