Oh yes he has actually never played a child younger than he is and he often plays in adult tournaments. Older kids and adults are not intimidating to him, he relates well to them. He has experience in losing, though when he plays kids, he tends to win most if not all games. There just are not as many higher level kid players locally. But he has lost significantly playing adults before and I'm sure once he starts driving to the closets city for tournaments, he will lose to kids, too. He has learned to lose with dignity and we love that.

I am concerned about my DH living vicariously through my son, yes. And I've had many talks with him about it but he doesn't see any harm in any of it. I just don't see why my son HAS to try to world championship now. Why not just let him enjoy playing the game in our small life here. But I'm not competitive and although I was good at a few things growing up, I was never the best at them and my parents were always just supportive of me, enjoying coming to my plays and musical performances because they enjoyed watching ME not because I was amazing. And I really want the same for my kids but I'm not sure my hubby truly feels the same way. I think he sees our son's potential and wants to encourage him to reach it. I just want our son to be happy and for us to do what's right for our family... And having so much revolve around chess takes a toll on us to be honest, on me and on our finances and on the rest of the three kids, though I'm sure my DH does not see that.