Yes. This is a topic with a lot of legs and one is being discussed on Linkedin teacher technology forums. I've been writing about the topic for open source.

A lot of school systems are rushing out to spend the money from Race to the Top without an overall plan, goal, or objective except to give the kids digital technology (usually laptops or tablets). LA school district spent tons of money on iPads but then ran out of money for 1/2 or more school districts and didn't factor in the problem with the lack of bandwidth into the equation. Then, there are issues with theft, bullying, the digital divide at home, etc. which they didn't entirely factor either.

A lot of school systems are just rushing out to get the latest copyright systems with Apple, Microsoft, or Google. For some, they feel that the latest copyrighted software/hardware will keep their school districts higher in the rankings and, overall, improve student performance. Personally, I think a lot of school systems are getting deals with various corporations and that's another factor as well whether a school system has Dell laptops or not.

With my own ds8, we are homeschooling and we place strict limits on Internet access; we no longer have tvs so that's not a factor. Do I notice a difference without so much screen time as most kids have? Well, yes, absolutely.

Digital technology isn't going to go aware. We live in a digital world. Our kids will need how to use digital skills - if only to communicate with others through words, sound, or visuals. Still, they're also going to need to learn limits, self-control, and how to navigate the advantages/disadvantages with it too. The latter seems to be an afterthought for most school districts.