Hmmm... honestly I think in the situation you've described, it would help to have the teacher talk about one thing. My first reaction to the "No fair, that group had the smart kid!" is two-fold from the teacher. First, I'm guessing the groups are changed out each time a project takes place. If the teacher is picking the groups rather than letting the kids choose then your dd is going to be "shared" among all the kids so it's not like one group is getting her every time. More importantly, I think this is an ideal opportunity for the teacher to talk about (and for your dd as well as the other students to think about) the fact that we *all* bring talents and "smarts" to the group when we work together, no matter what our IQ is. Just because one kid is super-quick or an amazing problem-solver doesn't negate the fact that another child may have an amazing solution of their own to offer up or that another child might bring a talent to the group such as writing or drawing or whatever.

It doesn't have to be a big talk or anything like that from the teacher, just a gentle reminder to the class if/when she hears someone say that.

I like the response "we all worked together to finish this project" as a response from your dd - I think it's perfect for her and all that really needs to be said (from her).

Best wishes,

polarbear