My DS, when he was in 3rd grade, came home one day and said that he never wanted to go to school again. Mind you, it is a very strong public school and has a lot of very advanced kids even though there wasn't (and isn't) a gifted program. The teacher explained some new math concepts and let the kids start doing work sheets and DS literally finished it in two minutes when most other kids were still reading the first question. The teacher told DS that he must have cheated somehow (without using the actual word) because "I know you are good but no one is that good". DS for the first time said to me that he wished that he was just like everybody else. We all need to get used to accepting who we are but it takes time and it's not easy when the authority figures don't "get it". We talked and I told him that I'd go talk to the teacher if that would help. Eventually he calmed down and said that he'd let it go since the teacher was a student teacher and was leaving soon. After that, once in a long while he would lament that he didn't want to be different, but he is 13 now and is very comfortable with who he is. I think getting more mature and gradually having peers who are accepting helped a lot.