As a result of various perceived problems with my 10 year old's behavior at her old school we had her formally tested. She fought the testing, refused to answer some things, and was basically not very cooperative. Despite all this she tested in the HG range and the tester said she believed her ceiling was probably closer to the EG/PG range. She did not want to be different. She did not want to change schools.

After a period of cooling off and visiting a school for the gifted, she saw how the teachers interacted with the students and really liked it. She "tested" the school out for a week and was adamant that she wanted to switch to this school. She had been under a lot of stress at her old school and fought bouts of anxiety. We've been at the new school for about a month and she was blossoming on all levels. Tonight we had a set back full of tears and pleas to just be average and wanting to go back to her old school (even though it was obvious to everyone but her that the school was squashing her).

She is so fragile right now, I just want to make sure I keep my head on straight so I can help her. There is no doubt in my mind that the new school is an almost perfect fit for her and I know she really likes it (I think we just had a bad day).

Has anyone else experienced this type of reaction after a a new "gifted" label? If so, how did you handle it?