Originally Posted by Irena
I think the problems at achool (adhd or whatever) are exacerbated by the fact that they do not like to give him scribing accommodations. They do not like that he gifted. He's a noncompliant, pain in the butt who complains he's bored and can't write. frown The negative halo. My other kid has the postive halo - nothing he does is a problem. This kid is "always" a problem - he does nothing right.

Just a thought - the school staff may feel this way because they may have more kids with needs for accommodations etc than they can handle - I feel that was part of the issue with our ds' elementary school. Your earlier post about the things that school staff have said to your ds also sound like a school that is not being led with a spirit of inclusion and understanding (in general). Those two factors combined can make it a really tough situation to successfully advocate through for any parent and child with special needs.

Scribing is not an easy accommodation to deliver because it takes one-on-one time from a staff member. While I would continue to push for the accommodations your ds has in his IEP to be actually used (including the scribing) I'd also start looking toward moving him into accommodations that require less staff support. We had our ds typing on an alphasmart by 3rd grade, and I think it would have worked in even 1st or 2nd if we'd realized he needed it. Learning touch-typing wasn't necessary - just letting a student hunt and peck and figure out their own system will typically give a dysgraphic student a much faster "writing" speed than handwriting, even if the typing is very slow. I can't remember all the details of the EDS, but with our ds' DCD, typing isn't the overall wonderful solution it is for a lot of dysgraphic students because his fine motor skills also impact his typing - but fwiw, he types without wrist pain and slow as it is, it's still faster than handwriting because he doesn't have to remember how to form the letters each time he writes them.

polarbear