Irena, do I recall right that you were declining to have your DS evaluated for ADHD? I would look into it, in your shoes. If teachers complain about ADHD, they're not always right-- but there is usually *something* going on that can be improved.

Originally Posted by Irena
I am attaching some strategies that I researched to help with inattention that I think could benefit DS as you requested. I bolded the ones that I thought, knowing him, would be the most effective. Let me know what you think and if you think I should share them with his other teachers (or if you would rather do that).

I would share only the strategies I would think have a good chance of being effective. But honestly, I would rather call a meeting at school and work out a plan as a team than be feeding the teachers strategies individually.

My strategy would be to contact teacher and principal in a single email and request a meeting with all relevant staff to discuss the teacher's findings. Does your DS already have an IEP or 504? If so, it can be a meeting to amend/refine the existing plan. If not, it can be an RTI meeting.

Also, if if he isn't finishing assignments, perhaps those could be sent home and we could do them at the weekend.

I would not volunteer this, either. Mainly because I want school to solve problems at school. My DS would feel punished if tons of work came home.

I don't mean busywork things but the priority ones.

Definitely don't imply that there is busywork. Teachers tend to feel that everything they assign is important.

I know Ms. ATP teacher mentioned he isn't finishing assignments in her class but at least some of the problem may be that there isn't a scribe or aid there to help him and there are no computers so sending the unfinished work home may be a good idea.

If there is scribe or aide mandated in the IEP, and they're not providing one, that's a problem to discuss at a team meeting, not in an email with a different teacher, IMO.

As I was filing away Ds's progress report from this year I compared it with his one from last year. He had all PHs and Ss last year.

What grade are we talking about? Grades have almost no importance in elementary, except as a signaling device. Your teacher is saying there's a problem. Don't worry about fixing the grades, worry about solving the problem.

At least, that's how I'd think about it. Good luck.