Originally Posted by Val
Hmm. Well, personally, if I wasn't getting information from the teacher, I'd send a polite message to the principal along the lines of "I'm confused; I heard about this program but can't get any information about it. Can you help me understand?"
Agreed. Some possible thoughts to consider for making a list of questions, for the teacher or principal:
1) What is the format of the program? (for example: Computer-based? Text book? Worksheets? Instructor-led?)
2) Is there a syllabus, class calendar, list of assignments, etc? (any guiding document?)
3) At what intervals (how often) is the program designed to admit new students? (each term, each year, etc)
4) How many pupils can the program accommodate (What is the current constraint for the class size - number of computers, etc? Is the constraint expandable? What is required to admit one more? two more? etc? Is there an absolute limit (non-expandable constraint)?)
5) Is there a waiting list? (Also, are any children leaving the group?)
6) Based on (test score criteria?) how many students are in line for consideration before ds? (wait list?)
7) Can DS have access to #1 & 2 above, to catch-up to where others are?
8) Alternate way to catch-up (study at home, use own resources, what are the identified targets/goals?
9) How soon can ds join the class?

After achieving placement for your child, remember what it felt for him to be left out. Working on principle, see what you can do to have the entry requirements for this and all other groups documented and accessible to all.

There was once a group tasked with designing a system, without knowing what each person's place in that system would be. This resulted in them building the most "fair" system possible, where each position had favorable aspects. I often think of that when GT advocacy issues come up... how different it can feel for a child to be on each side of the fence.

Good luck with this.