This sort of thing seems to go on at our school to a certain extent. For example, we have what seems a bit of a secret math group... When I asked ,at the end of last year, if there were advanced groups, ability grouping, math pull-out whatever in 2nd grade (there was allegedly none in 1st), I was given a pretty emphatic "no" and told that that stuff doesn't start till 3rd and that they would differentiate in the class if necessary. Then, a few weeks into school this year (3rd grade), I get a call from the teacher that DS would be in an differentiated math pull-out group (sigh of relief - one day where DS will be engaged and excited). It is not part of ATP (ie kids who are in ATP are not automatically in the group and kids who are not in ATP can be in the group). Ds tells me who is in it and who isn't... but I didn't know anything until after the fact. No one was informed that all the kids would be given a 'pre-test' and if they passed they get into the group and if they do not they do not. I am sure the school has it's reasons. I can partially understand - in this area, it would pretty quickly turn into a status thing and parents would probably get their kids extra tutoring just before in an attempt to get the child in the group jusy to be able to brag, etc. I'm just happy DS got in b/c he loves it. But it only meets once a week.

I was told by DS's teacher it is a fluid group. And this appears to be true. I notice they get these little extra credit sections on their test that they are allowed to do if they want. If the child passes that section, they can be added to the "group" Ds will say "oh we got a new person in our group today." However the general population of parents is not aware of this. I think they just think the "section" is merely for extra credit and not being used additionally to qualify kids for the math group. Perhaps your school has another opportunity coming up? I can relate if my DS who loves math and is desperate for more math stimulation found out there was a special math group that he was not permitted to be in he would be devastated.

Last edited by Irena; 12/19/13 04:40 PM.