Tomorrow I meet with my DD8's third grade teacher. Whenever I help out in class her teacher assures me that she is doing fantastic, and is one of the very best students especially in ELA. However, her report card shows that she has moved from pretty much all 4's (exemplary, on a scale of 1-4) in second grade to only 3's (proficient) in third grade. It does not make any sense to me. Test reports that were sent home appear to indicate a more than just proficient student:
- the "beginning of third grade ELA/ Reading" score is 97th percentile, with a Lexile score of 1005L.
- Cogat scores: Verbal 95 percentile, Math 88 percentile, Nonverbal 94 percentile
- Iowa test scores are pending
- She scored just under the cut-off for Single Subject Acceleration for ELA at the beginning of this schoolyear.

DD attends a Magnet school with Gifted in the name. However, there is one part-time AG teacher only for all grades, and she is spread very thin. Services are pretty much limited to 4th and 5th grade. DD has not had any pull-out AG services this year (she had them last year for math and ELA).

What should I ask for as far as differentiation?

This is a girl who reads nonstop, and will do anything to get more reading time. We do some after-schooling with IXL and workbooks. I see this school as offering minimal services for AG students, and am thinking about doing more after/ home schooling. I get so tired of advocating for my children, and getting the impression that the school sees me as one of "those" parents and trying to do just the bare minimum for gifted kids. Kids who are below grade level get services left and right, but AG kids get pretty much nothing. I will stop here, getting too frustrated...

Last edited by Johanna; 12/16/13 07:49 PM.