Originally Posted by indigo
One technique here may be to keep the full report, then create another document in which the student pares down the work. In this way, all the fascinating research is still there for the student's own benefit... plus it can be drawn on to add selected content back into the report for continuity if needed (eliminating the potential panic of something being over-edited and becoming choppy).

[...]

A book which seems to understand perfectionism very well and which many find supportive is "What To Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough".

what a GREAT method. my kid is 5, but could use that already in her writing. off to suggest it to her now!

also - indigo, i ordered "What To Do..." last week on your recommendation. DD5 and i are now working through it as a project for homeschool. she is definitely seeing many of her traits jumping off the page, but it's also interesting to watch her consider and reject other traits as being non-applicable. it's pretty cool to see her thinking so deeply about the issue, and i am feeling optimistic. thank you!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.