My kids attended private schools for a few years. Based on my experiences the most important factors in a child's success over his lifetime are natural ability and parental involvement.

Just like in any profession, there are some truly awesome teachers out there, and there are some who are not so great. Some days at the grocery store you get the world's greatest cashier who is fast, knows all the produce codes and makes polite conversation without delaying the transaction, and there will also be days where you get the slow, rude cashier who has to ask for assistance several times throughout the transaction. At least that is just a few minutes out of your week. At a school, your child might be stuck with a lousy teacher for an entire year. Personally, I didn't want to keep taking that chance.

For me it boils down to what environment you want your child in. Visit all of the schools in the area and trust your instincts. Also, be sure to bring your child with you as you visit schools. Kids are excellent judges of character. If they don't like the staff, run!