A brief update. I got an email a couple of days ago from the 5th grade math teacher. She would like a big meeting with the principal and a few other people. The bottom line is: DS7 is finding the work challenging and is making an adjustment to the higher work level. He is - gasp - just barely struggling with the first 5-10 mins of each class.

The teacher is concerned because she has only heard the following about DS - that nothing is a struggle for him and he breezes through everything. So, the fact that he takes the first 10 mins of class to actually stop and learn something is evidence that it's a "tough" adjustment for him. When I responded in the email that: DS LOVES the class and we (his parents) are THRILLED to find out that something is causing him to stop and learn - for 10 mins! - per day, the response from the teacher is that they assumed that 5th grade would be just as easy for him as 2nd grade. The goal of the meeting is to figure out if DS should continue in 5th grade. After reading the email, I turned and asked DS about 5th grade math class. "Of course I want to stay in the class mom! I'm actually learning something in that class!"

What is wrong with these teachers?