In my experience, finishing at 16, drinking at 14 becomes the norm if your drinking age is 18, which it was when I was in high school. So yes, it depends on the child. Is she introverted or extroverted? Can you tell how much at this age? And reading some of these suicide stories about kids, bullying, the cyberage, I think it is hard to tell how much you can protect your children. And being young for the cohort doesn't tell a lot. NYC has a year end cut off. NJ has Oct 1. And they allow red shirting so a kid in public school in NYC could be turning 5 in Dec in K while a kid in NJ could have turned 6 in Aug and enter K that fall. No acceleration but the NYC kid will be more than a year younger when they enter college. I did my own subject acceleration and let her go through without grade acceleration, though it made me nuts at time, but filled in with another language, she got Spanish at school, and Chinese on Sat. And high level of dance. The social changes in the early years, I think are significant. In my opinion, those social skills could be key to successful adaption in later years.

I had hoped for the introverted dna from her father to be dominant but my extroverted, risk taker stuff took over in her body and my fears about those high school parties are sometimes overwhelming. And I am looking at good gifted schools for high schools, with no football team.