Originally Posted by mithawk
This reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Gattaca, which envisions a future where the naturally born kids are considered "invalid" and face discrimination from the genetically selected kids.

Gattaca is one of my favorite movies, too! But I've been thinking lately about the fact that highly intelligent children have more and more opportunities to socialize together these days, through talent searches, admission to competitive colleges, and because gifted families are more and more likely to live in the same zipcode. Would it stand to reason that assortative mating will become more and more precise (er... accurate?) in future generations... Basically, given that people have more opportunities to marry their intellectual equals, will intelligence and LOG stabilize within blood lines in the future, without the "need" for artificial selection?

I don't know... I'm not a hard science person and I'm still on my first cup of coffee, so I don't even know if that was coherent. :-) I will add that I am not sure if it's a good or bad thing to have "purebred gifties", but it is an interesting thought. My parents have widely differing abilities and the same is true for my siblings. But my DH and I have very similar abilities due to the way we met in college, so I wonder if our children will be more similar to us and each other. Could be fun to get a wild card... :-)