Our "GT" program isn't really GT either. It's been approximately 15% of the grade for my kids although it may vary a bit either way for other grades based on how many students/classes for that grade. I do think that due to a somewhat high concentration of professionals that DS/DD's GT classes are probably in the 90 percentile.

All things considered, I am actually okay with that many kids in the GT classes because there is strength in numbers. Since first grade and until this year (fifth grade), DS/DD has been in stand-alone GT classes. Due to implmentation of Common Core standards, the district/school has separated and evenly distributed all the GT students into mixed ability classrooms for reading/language arts but left the math GT group intact. Any student who tests at the appropriate level prior to each reading/language arts unit, including but not limited to the former GT students, gets put in the high level group in each classroom. The hope is to make the high level work available to all students but the reality has been that pretty much the same GT students qualify. The difference is that all students in each classroom share some instructional time and assignments as well. It's been particularly eye-opening for DS, who was shocked to see how some students stuggle and had to fend off one or two students who tried to beg/borrow/steal his papers so they can copy his answers.